Welcome!

Hi everyone and welcome to my blog! This is where I share with you my "eye on things." Basically, I share my creative tips and ideas on everything from refinishing a piece of furniture to creating party centerpieces!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mason Jar Centerpieces


It was recently my younger sister's 21st birthday and I really wanted to make the party we had for her special. So I just added a lot of special touches here and there, for example a mason jar centerpiece. There is so much you can do with mason jars when decorating or party planning to make a table or a room pop.

To start, I went to Michaels Craft Store and bought mason jars for $1.99 each. Along with the jars, I bought multi-colored raffia. For those of you who don't know what raffia is, they are actually leaf fibers from the raffia palm tree which are normally used to make baskets and mats. I also cut out little square boxes from designer mat pads that I also bought at Michaels. On each square piece of paper, I stamped a cute design in the middle of each with a similar burgundy color ink that I matched with the raffia. After stamping and leaving to dry, I punched a whole in the corner point of each square and strung the raffia through it. I mixed together a burgundy and pearl colored raffia. I then tied them around the top of each mason jar.

Now after this, you can really add whatever you want inside the mason jar such as flowers, beads, perhaps a floating candle. I decided to add fresh flowers since it was of course a summer party. I went to Trader Joe's and for only $5.99 each, I bought two bouquets of flowers that I cut, mixed, and added to each mason jar. It is almost two weeks later, and the flowers have not died!

To the top right is a picture of the finished product. Below, is what they looked like before the fresh flowers were added to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment